I’m not one to think much about my eyebrows, but I’ve come to realize how nicely shaped eyebrows can help enhance your face.
My friend’s daughters are so obsessed with their eyebrows. Somehow the subject comes up every now and then, which has made me more aware of the fact that I don’t have eyebrows. They’re about as nonexistent as my eyelashes. See exhibit A above.
Attempting to shape my eyebrows is like telling Donald Trump to shut up about himself – it just doesn’t happen. I mean, I am an artist, so how come it’s so hard to draw nicely shaped eyebrows? For whatever reason, I don’t even have the patience to follow these tips to create shapely brows at home.
Well, spring is here and my birthday is around the corner, so naturally I’m inspired to try something new. I have to follow my own advice to mix it up and add spice to the beauty routine. My latest adventure in makeup is eyebrow gel. Ok, it’s not that much of an adventure, but for someone like me who used to consider eyebrow shaping as unnecessary as face contouring, this is one of the ultimate makeup adventures.
I decided to try out E.L.F. Cosmetics’ Eyebrow Kit that includes a gel and powder. I bought the “Medium” color, which is a dark brown because I want my brows to look as natural as possible. You apply the gel first and then set it with the powder.
What do you think?
I probably should have bought the darker color because I found myself having to apply alot of gel just so it would show in the areas I filled in. I might stick with using a brow pencil from now on, though.
Eyebrow Grooming Tips
Are you looking to step up your eyebrow game this spring? Wink Brow Bar Founder and CEO, Umbreen Sheikh, offers these brow grooming tips:
1. Threading is a great way to shape and define brows because it’s extremely precise, removes hair from the roots and has a lower chance of irritation because it barely has any contact with the skin. It’s a great option for those who do not naturally have full brows because it stimulates hair growth within the brow in a natural, organic and chemical-free way by exfoliating the skin and allowing hair follicles to grow healthily.
2. If you can’t make it to a threading salon try a brow gel! “Gels are best for not making your brows look overdone or fake when you have sparse or thinned brows. It ensures the natural, yet bold look that is so popular now!”
3. Tinting brows (coloring your brows with a semi-permanent brow specific color) is a great option for women looking to spruce up your brows. It adds fullness, definition and can become an essential. Once done, it can last 3-6 weeks and there is no maintenance required.
Tips to Promote Eyebrow Growth
I asked Umbreen about how to promote eyebrow growth, and this is what she said:
Everybody is different in how much their brow grows but you can try the following:
- Brush them with an eyebrow brush, always remembering to go upwards and then outwards. Then, moisturize your brows, making sure the hairs aren’t dry.
- Again, threading is a good option as it stimulates hair growth in a natural, organic and chemical free way by the action of the thread on the skin.
- Another thing you can do is to take vitamins, such as B-complex and C.
Nowadays there are so many brow growth enhancing products on the market, but I would be weary of anything that has prostaglandins in it. Try something that is paraben free and contains essential vitamins, but remember that the results usually only last as long as you keep using the product.
Have any eyebrow tips you’d like to share?