I’m so excited because this is my absolute favorite time of the year, and I’m always inspired to share my must-have items for fall. For this post, however, I’ll share basic clothing and accessories you can invest in that can be mixed and matched with trendier items and pops of color.
We’ve been finally getting cooler weather here in San Diego, which means it’s time to reevaluate my fall wardrobe. About this time of year I like to do an overhaul – organize, declutter, and get rid of the things that I don’t wear anymore. I also like to take inventory of my wardrobe basics and see whether or not I need to add anything new. Last weekend I went through all of my jewelry and sock drawer. This weekend I’ll organize all of my clothing and bring out the sweaters and jackets.
A couple years ago I did share my must-have basics for fall. This time I’d like to add a few more items, especially jewelry because even if you can’t always buy clothing, you can at least update a look with more affordable jewelry pieces.
These are the basics I’ll be looking for this fall season:
1. Long-sleeve striped t-shirt – You really cannot go wrong with any kind of striped tee. Again, this is one of those wardrobe pieces that can be worn with just about anything and be dressed up or down. I have a slight obsession with striped tees, especially if it’s black and white. I am loving this black and grey striped t-shirt by Red Haute. ($42.48, available at Lord & Taylor)
2. Straight-leg jeans – You can always use a pair of straight leg jeans, which could be dressed up with a blazer, sparkly top, and pumps for a girls night out, or thrown on with an oversized sweater and sneakers for a casual weekend outfit. I like the Calvin Klein straight leg jeans in particular ($49.99, available at Macys.com) because they have that “porcelain blue” wash that’s not too dark or too light.
3. Gold bangle bracelets – There’s something about a gold bangle bracelet that adds a little style and pizzazz to any outfit. Wear just one or stack a few for a fun arm party. All kinds of gold bracelets were seen during the fall runway shows, but I think bangle bracelets will always be in style. I especially like the Michael Kors buckle bangle ($119.33, available at Market Cross Jewellers).
4. Simple pendant necklace – When you’re in a rush and don’t want to think too much about what jewelry to wear, you can always throw on a simple pendant necklace. This square pendant necklace ($24.99, available at MANGO) could be one of those everyday jewelry pieces, and you could even layer it with longer chain necklaces.
5. Hoop earrings – If there’s one jewelry piece I can’t go without, it’s a pair of earrings. Classic hoop earrings are always in style, and if they have diamonds or crystals on them like the platinum-plated ones featured ($71.91, available at Amazon), even better. I can never seem to have enough hoop earrings. In fact, the other day as I was organizing my jewelry I found a set in different sizes – a couple pairs I haven’t even worn yet.
6. Tote bag – California just recently put a ban on plastic bags, plus if you’re ever in the San Francisco area, they charge you for shopping bags. A tote bag is an absolute must if you’re out and about shopping. I like this nylon tote bag from MARC by Marc Jacobs ($228, available at Neiman Marcus) because of the side pockets and the removable ID tag for when I’m traveling.
7. Booties – Well, of course, I wouldn’t write a post about fall fashion without mention of boots or booties. I mean, that’s one of the main reasons why I love fall so much! This pair of STEVEN by Steve Madden pointed booties ($159, available at Macys.com) would look stylish with tights and a dress or a sweater and pencil skirt.
What wardrobe basics will you be on the lookout for this fall season?