Yesterday I was browsing photos from people I follow on Instagram, and came across this fashion photo from weWOREWHAT, a personal style blog by Danielle Bernstein. Because of my love affair with black and white striped clothing, I couldn’t help but pause and admire this cute outfit.
I had to call out the first commenter listed here. You can see my comment under username “studio747”. I usually just ignore people and their mean comments, but for some reason I felt inclined to offer a reminder of the “Be Nice!” mantra in her profile.
The hypocrisy of some people, right? Why do women continue to be so mean to each other?
Female bullying is still alive, and it’s a social disease that has permeated the online world because it’s so easy for people to hide behind their computer.
I must admit that when I was younger I had those days when I felt catty and mean. I judged people based on their looks. In retrospect, those were the days when I was hurting and not the joyful person I am today. I’ve learned over the years that women are mean because:
- They don’t feel good about themselves so they pick on other women to feel better.
- They’re being abused, and that abuse is manifesting into anger and resentment towards others.
- It’s their way of getting attention.
- Don’t participate in gossip about other people.
- Be more mindful of what you say or post online about other women.
- Be a role model. Stay focused on how you can be a more inspiring person.