Many women spend enormous amounts of money on health and beauty products each month – products that promise to help you lose more weight, remove those nasty wrinkles, or give you a fresh, new look. Yes, all those things are great, but there are things you can do to be more beautiful and enjoy the fountain of youth without going broke!
1. Use what you have in your kitchen. There are many DIY beauty concoctions that you can create from things found in your refrigerator or pantry. For example, you can whiten your teeth with baking soda mixed with crushed strawberries, or lather on avocado on your face for about 15 minutes as a moisturizing mask.
Speaking of food, make an effort to eat healthy as it affects your skin health and how you feel overall. Eating green, leafy vegetables is a simple way to prevent wrinkles and aging skin. Fruits and vegetables like cucumbers, celery, tomatoes, and watermelon are naturally low in calories, full of nutrients, and keep you hydrated.
2. Exercise. I’ve written about exercise many times, but it bears repeating because I think it can make a huge impact on how you feel about yourself. People who exercise on a regular basis have a healthy, vibrant glow about them. If going to the gym or strenuous exercise does not sound particularly appealing, find anything you like that gets you moving, whether it’s salsa dancing, Zumba, or simply walking around the neighborhood.
The key is to be active and exercise on a regular basis. One thing that might keep you motivated is finding a friend who will exercise with you and keep you accountable for doing it consistently.
3. Choose to be happy. Audrey Hepburn has been quoted as saying, “Happy girls are the prettiest girls.” There’s something about a woman who is positive and always keeps smiling no matter what’s going on in her life. She’s more physically attractive and captivates the people around her.
The thing is, you always have a choice to be happy. People may do things that you don’t like, but it’s all about how you perceive these actions. Do you see the glass half empty or half full? Do you sulk in self-pity or learn the lessons that needed to be learned and move on?
I’m currently working on a new book called “53 Day of Joy” that will help you get on track to living a happier life. It will be published soon, but in the meantime I invite you to join the Facebook community and share tips on how to create more joy in your life.
4. Appreciate your unique beauty. You could focus on all those things that you think are wrong with you, but what about appreciating the parts about yourself that you love? Nobody wants to be around someone who constantly complains about being overweight, how her nose is too big, small, wide, etc., or whines about how someone else looks prettier than her.
Appreciating beauty doesn’t stop with yourself, though. See and appreciate the beauty in other people. The more you are grateful for the beauty around you, the less insecure and more confident you will feel. A sense of gratitude will fill you up with joy and put a smile on your face, which in turn will make you more beautiful.
5. Find a mentor who inspires you. A mentor is someone who inspires you to become a better person. This person can be someone you know, a leader in your community, or even a person you’ve never met. When you feel inspired, you want to follow your dreams, make a difference in the world, and help others. There will be a sparkle in your eyes that makes you attractive and beautiful because you are doing what you love.
Being beautiful is not just about outer appearances. Beauty is an attribute that starts within. You can use all the beauty products in the world, but it won’t replace the shine that comes from eating healthy, exercising, or being more happy and grateful!