It’s nice to keep up with the trends and shop for pieces that give your style a little update, but there are certain classic pieces worth investing in that offer a more polished, timeless look. Here are my top 5 fashion items that should always have a spot in the wardrobe:
1) Button-Up Cardigan – Dressed up or dressed down, a cardigan is a very versatile item that can go with just about any outfit. A v-neck cardigan sweater can be worn with a pair of slacks, skirts, dresses, or layered over a collared blouse.
I usually carry a cardigan around with me when I’m out and about. Here in San Diego you never know if you’re going to be inside a store that has the air conditioning on blast. Also, it can get chilly at night if you’re walking around downtown.
Modcloth Navy Cardigan Sweater
2) Straight-Leg Jeans – Who knows how long skinny jeans will be in fashion, but one style you can always count on are straight-leg jeans. I like to wear them with boots during the fall/winter and then for spring/summer I’ll fold up the bottoms to make them look like capris.
True Religion’s Billy Straight Leg Jeans
3) Diamond Jewelry – Regardless of what year, era, or trend is going on with jewelry, you can never go wrong with diamond jewelry. A tennis bracelet, diamond earring studs, or a diamond ring adds sparkle to any outfit. Besides that, these pieces can be passed down as heirloom jewelry to be kept in the family forever and ever.
I like to wear my diamond jewelry for business meetings, networking events, or I’ll just throw them on when I’m in a rush and don’t want to think too much about matching jewelry with my outfit. Diamonds go with everything!
4) Trench Coat – Another piece that can be worn with just about any outfit, the trench coat still continues to have a place in fashion history. It’s one of the top 3 timeless jackets I blogged about last year, and will probably include as part of classic fall fashion articles in the future.
I would be remiss if I didn’t include a picture of a trench coat by the ever-so-popular British fashion brand that probably put these coats on the map.
5) Little Black Dress – Ah, the good ole tried and true LBD. Where would a classic beauty and fashion lover be without it? Besides the jeans, you could wear a little black dress with every item I’ve mentioned in this article and create the ultimate timeless outfit!
Alexander McQueen draped-back jersey mini dress
Which of these classic fashion pieces are in your wardrobe now? Is there anything you would add to the list?