A healthy body is a beautiful body, and with October being breast cancer awareness month, I want to share some of my personal tips on how you can maintain a healthy, energized body that is full of vitality and radiates beauty from the inside.
1. Don’t eat microwaved food – We live in a society in which we just don’t seem to have the time to cook. Microwaved food is fast and easy, but I do believe that there is a link between microwaved food and cancer. According to some studies, nutrients are destroyed when food is microwaved.
2. Eat organic when possible – I eat as many organic foods as I can. Grocery stores such as Whole Foods, Henry’s Market, and Trader Joe’s carry many organic fruits and vegetables at relatively affordable prices. Organic foods are grown without toxic pesticides or chemical fertilizers. Even a presidential panel recommends eating organic food.
3. Don’t use deodorant that contains aluminum – The highest proportion of breast cancer is diagnosed near the underarm region, where breast tissue has been shown to concentrate aluminum.
4. Be careful what you put on your skin – I always keep Consonant‘s tagline in mind: “What goes on your body, goes in your body.” Stay away from beauty products that contain parabens, sulfates, and phthalates. Few studies have been yet to be published, but it’s been said that phthalates exposure may double breast cancer risk.
5. Take time to de-stress – Although it’s been a challenge to provide evidence of a relationship between stress and cancer, I think stress does play a role in the development of cancer in the body. Proof or not, the bottom line is that stress is not healthy and unnecessary. One of the ways I de-stress is to meditate for at least 5-10 minutes each day.
So, what steps will you take now to start living a healthier lifestyle? What tips would you add to the list?